The Strong Spirit Strong Mind Metro Project aims to raise awareness of the harms associated with alcohol and other drug (AOD) issues among young Aboriginal people and their families and communities in the Perth Metropolitan area.
The Project focuses on young people aged 12 to 25 years and encourages these young Aboriginal people to develop the knowledge and attitudes to choose healthy lifestyles, promote healthy environments and create safer communities.
Project activities include:
- A prevention campaign
- An Aboriginal Youth Reference Group
- Targeted AOD strategies for young Aboriginal people
The Strong Spirit Strong Mind Metro Project campaign has been running since 2012 and aims to prevent and delay the early uptake of alcohol and other drugs by young Aboriginal people in the Perth metropolitan area.
The campaign sets out to increase awareness of the risks/harms associated with alcohol and other drug use and improve awareness of the support services available.
The key messages of the campaign include:
- Strong inner spirit keeps our family strong, our community strong and our culture alive.
- Getting drunk or stoned can put you in shameful and dangerous situations.
- Using drugs and alcohol can mess with your mind and affect your relationships.
- When our spirit is strong, our mind is strong and we make good decisions.
Aboriginal Youth Reference Group
The SSSM Metro Project is guided by a group of young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who form the Aboriginal Youth Reference Group (AYRG).
The main aim of the group is to provide advice and guidance on all of our SSSM Metro Project activities and resources, to ensure that the project is suitable for young Aboriginal people in the Perth metro area.
The AYRG is an opportunity for young people to have their say about what programs for young Aboriginal people should look like. It's also an opportunity to meet and yarn with other young people who are passionate about improving alcohol and other drug issues in the community.
To be part of the group you must be:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- 12-25 years old
- Currently living in the Perth metro area.
The SSSM Metro Project team would like to acknowledge and thank all the young Aboriginal people who have contributed to our project activities.